5 Tips to Stay Organized When Moving or Storing
The more organized you are before storing or moving, the better the outcome. Of course, that is much easier said than done. Moving can throw even the most organized household into chaos. Getting organized beforehand is a commitment, but is well worth the effort in the long run. Here are some moving tips to help you on the road to an organized move:
- Start planning as soon as you find out you have to move: The more time you have, the more organized you can be. Come up with a storage and moving list that you can follow and amend from now until moving day. MyMovingChecklist can help you put together the perfect moving check list and allow you to add everything you can think of. When things get busy and hectic as you dismantle your house and get closer to your moving day, your very detailed moving to do list will assure that you will not forget anything.
- Get rid of things you do not need: Go through everything in your house and put aside items to either donate or sell. Have one of our units delivered early and use it as a staging location for unwanted goods. Most charities will send a truck to pick-up donated items. If everything is in our unit, you'll make it easier on them and you. You can even hold a yard sale of the items to earn some moving cash!
- It is never too early to pack: Begin packing non-essential items as soon as you start writing your storage and moving to do list. That moving day will sneak up on you before you know it. If you plan to put some of your belongings in storage, pack those items first and move them to storage.
- Label everything: Label the contents of every box and in what room the box belongs. You can take your moving organization a step further by tagging all boxes with tape color coded for each different room. This organized pack will make it easy for you and the movers to see quickly where things belong and help you spot misplaced boxes.
- Leave a few boxes for last-minute items: You will want things like bed linens, toiletries and cleaning supplies readily available when you are unpacking. Label them clearly with "open first" so you can spot them.