June 10, 2014
3 Decluttering Tips for Summer
Summer is right around the corner, which means your kids and college students are out of school for the next couple of months. With the whole family at home, it can start to feel a little cramped if you have clutter or nonessential items lying around. Check out 3 of our favorite decluttering tips for creating more space in the home so you can enjoy a clutter free and spacious environment this summer.
- Space Bags: Vacuum bags can be a great solution to all of your off-season clothing or linens that are rarely used. Pack up your winter clothes and guest bedding in these nifty space-savers. They can then be stacked in plastic tubs that fit under the bed.
- Multifunctional furniture: We love the idea of using furniture that serves multiple purposes in the home. A bench by the foyer that also stores shoes, umbrellas or bags is a great way to declutter the area by your front door.
- Store it: If you have items in your home that you don't want to part with, but are not being used, consider using a portable storage unit to clear out those things and create more space in your home.
read the full article
April 30, 2014
Tackle Your Garage and Show It Who's Boss
With spring officially here, it's time to start spring cleaning! But where to start? If you are like most people (and us!) you likely have a messy garage. Now is the perfect time to get that cleaned up. Wouldn't it be nice to have an organized garage space during our many spring showers. To get started, check out our helpful organization tips and have your garage cleaned up in no time:
- Set a timeline: Check your schedule and create a timeline in which you hope to get your garage organized. Make sure you have enough time to begin with. You don’t want to start a project cleaning the garage if you don't have time to finish.
- Recruit help: If your garage is in complete disarray, you may want to recruit your family members and even some close friends. Order some pizza, put on some good music and you will have your garage organized in no time!
- Start with a blank slate: Use a portable storage unit to get everything out of the garage so you can work at your own pace to sort and organize. When you are ready to get started with your project, 1-800-PACK-RAT will deliver your unit right to your door!
- Get rid of what you can: Chances are you are not using a lot of the stuff you are storing in your garage. Take this opportunity to donate or sell unwanted items to make room for other things – like your car!
- Plan the space: Take inventory of the remaining items that will be going back into the garage. Make a plan for where you want everything to go. Take advantage of the vertical space by installing sturdy garage shelves for storage or peg board to keep your garage organized and use the space more efficiently.
- Bring it in: After you have a plan, start moving everything back in. You don't want to have to do this again anytime soon, so organize as you go along and label everything! When you are all done, give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done!
read the full article
April 18, 2014
Get Your Home Organized with These Three Tips
Moving can definitely be a pain. It’s never fun to have to pack up all of your things and move to a new city, or even a new state. But there is a bright side to all of your hard work and effort—you can take this opportunity to organize your new home in a way that will make your everyday life much easier and certainly less cluttered! Less clutter means less stress, so take this opportunity to give yourself a fresh start in your new home.
To get started, check out three of our favorite tips to achieving an organized home:
Labeled Bins! It's easy to toss the mail and other items on the foyer table when you walk in the door, but after a while this will turn into a cluttered mess. Set up labeled bins at the entrance to your home and encourage everyone in your family to use them. Once everyone gets the hang of it, you'll never have to look at a mess of papers again.
Toys! When you have children, the toys can easily get out of control. Designating one area of the home for toys will help keep the rest of the home clutter-free. If you have ever stepped on a Lego while barefoot, you'll appreciate having all the toys in one place. Don’t forget to provide baskets, toy boxes or bins for your children to keep their toys in.
Storage! You don’t have to have a basement or extra closets to store your items. You can purchase tubs that are specifically designed to slide under the bed. You could even find trunks that will accessorize your living room while storing unused blankets and linens. There are so many creative ways for you to store unused items without letting them clutter your home.
If you are getting ready to relocate, be sure to give us a call at 1-800-722-5728 for a free, no-obligation quote. We are standing by to help you achieve a smooth, stress-free move!
read the full article