July 28, 2014
Boost Your Home's Curb Appeal
If you are getting ready to sell your home, you are probably thinking about what you can do to make your home stand out from all of the other properties for sale. Sprucing up the outside of your home and boosting its curb appeal is a great way to get the leg up on the home for sale down the street. Even if you are not planning to sell your home soon, improving the curb appeal will make it even more attractive for you and your family. Check out four of our favorite, low-cost ideas for boosting your home’s curb appeal.
- Replace out-of-date hardware: This can include door handles, lock sets, light fixtures, house numbers, etc.
- Replace your mailbox: If your HOA allows for it, and it's time for a new mailbox, look for one that will complement the personality of your home.
- Plant a garden: Flowers are great for a quick spruce. Don't have time for a landscaping project? Grab some small potted plants and line the stairs up to your porch!
- Install walkway lighting: Walkway lighting not only looks great at night, but is also very functional. You will be glad for the added light when you are getting in after dark!
read the full article
June 10, 2014
3 Decluttering Tips for Summer
Summer is right around the corner, which means your kids and college students are out of school for the next couple of months. With the whole family at home, it can start to feel a little cramped if you have clutter or nonessential items lying around. Check out 3 of our favorite decluttering tips for creating more space in the home so you can enjoy a clutter free and spacious environment this summer.
- Space Bags: Vacuum bags can be a great solution to all of your off-season clothing or linens that are rarely used. Pack up your winter clothes and guest bedding in these nifty space-savers. They can then be stacked in plastic tubs that fit under the bed.
- Multifunctional furniture: We love the idea of using furniture that serves multiple purposes in the home. A bench by the foyer that also stores shoes, umbrellas or bags is a great way to declutter the area by your front door.
- Store it: If you have items in your home that you don't want to part with, but are not being used, consider using a portable storage unit to clear out those things and create more space in your home.
read the full article
April 30, 2014
Tackle Your Garage and Show It Who's Boss
With spring officially here, it's time to start spring cleaning! But where to start? If you are like most people (and us!) you likely have a messy garage. Now is the perfect time to get that cleaned up. Wouldn't it be nice to have an organized garage space during our many spring showers. To get started, check out our helpful organization tips and have your garage cleaned up in no time:
- Set a timeline: Check your schedule and create a timeline in which you hope to get your garage organized. Make sure you have enough time to begin with. You don’t want to start a project cleaning the garage if you don't have time to finish.
- Recruit help: If your garage is in complete disarray, you may want to recruit your family members and even some close friends. Order some pizza, put on some good music and you will have your garage organized in no time!
- Start with a blank slate: Use a portable storage unit to get everything out of the garage so you can work at your own pace to sort and organize. When you are ready to get started with your project, 1-800-PACK-RAT will deliver your unit right to your door!
- Get rid of what you can: Chances are you are not using a lot of the stuff you are storing in your garage. Take this opportunity to donate or sell unwanted items to make room for other things – like your car!
- Plan the space: Take inventory of the remaining items that will be going back into the garage. Make a plan for where you want everything to go. Take advantage of the vertical space by installing sturdy garage shelves for storage or peg board to keep your garage organized and use the space more efficiently.
- Bring it in: After you have a plan, start moving everything back in. You don't want to have to do this again anytime soon, so organize as you go along and label everything! When you are all done, give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done!
read the full article