Knowing your options when it's time to move can help get your relocation started right, rather than planning for one method but having to change horses mid-stream. Here are some of the pros and cons of the three main moving options.
Full Service Moving Companies: Pros
Full Service Moving Companies: Cons
- The majority of the work is done for you. You pack, and they load, drive, and unload.
- Given the nature of the service, you can get your total move done faster, if you find yourself crunched for time.
Moving Containers: Pros
- While they may be able to move you faster than you could on your own, you will have to fit your move into their availability, which can sometimes make for a frantic bout of packing.
- Full service moving company rates are generally higher than other moving options. However, many companies will reduce their costs if you agree to load and unload the truck yourself.
Moving Containers: Cons
- The unit can also double as a storage unit, so you don't have to make an extra trip to a storage facility.
- Moving containers sit low to the ground, with no ramp to negotiate, so load-in is faster and easier.
Rental Trucks: Pros
- While you do get more bang for your buck with moving containers, you also pay a monthly fee for the convenience.
- Depending on the kind of truck container company uses to deliver and unload the unit, you may not be able to get the container closer than the curb, which might mean a bit of extra hauling distance from your front door.
Rental Trucks: Cons
- Renting a truck is easily the most affordable of the three moving options.
- The rental truck industry is very competitive, so not only are the prices lower, but there are many options available. Chances are, a rental office is not far from your home.
- Timeframes can be tight, and picking up and returning the truck can eat into valuable loading and unloading time.
- It can be a nerve-wracking experience driving a large, unfamiliar vehicle down a crowded highway.
Different situations may call for different moving options. Self service movers may find themselves in need of a little full service help, and full service aficionados may want to consolidate their moving and storage options with containers. Whatever your situation, do your research and find the moving option that's right for you.