A moving list is the number one tool people use to keep them organized during a a move. Most people remember to include all the tasks involved in preparing for a move and the actual moving day. But they forget to include tasks on their moving list for after the move. Once everything has been loaded into your new home, there are still many things to take care of. It is easy to feel overwhelmed when you are surrounded by boxes and furniture. Making a moving list for move in day will give you a solid plan to get you started on unpacking and help you make a smooth transition to your new home.
Moving List for Moving In:
1. Check inventory list and make sure everything you expected to be delivered in your shipment was.
2. Make a list of damaged or lost items. Add deadlines for making claims to moving list so you do not forget.
3. Do a walk through of your new home and make note of any damages or repairs needed.
4. Check to make sure all utilities have been turned on (call a couple weeks prior to your move in date to turn on service).
5. Check all appliances to make sure they work.
6. Clean closets, cabinets and storage spaces before you start unpacking.
7. Make sure you have some food and drinks to get you through the first day.
8. Make a priority list for what should be unpacked first and a strategy for what rooms you will focus on first. For example, unpack linens and bedding and make sure everyone has a place to sleep.
9. Register car, change title and obtain new drivers license.
10. Register and enroll children in new school.
11. Register to vote.
12. Confirm change of address with post office, banks, insurance companies and other important institutions.