Moving out of an apartment is hectic. Not only do you have to take care of the details that go along with moving, but you have to make sure you leave your apartment in good condition. The one thing that often gets lost in the shuffle and pushed off until the last minute is actually cleaning and repairing damages in the apartment. It is wise, therefore, to come up with a moving out check list for cleaning and repairs. A moving out check list specifically focused on cleaning will assure that you are not scrambling at midnight (after a long day of moving) trying to clean and repair years of dirt and use.
MOVING OUT CHECK LIST FOR CLEANING:
One Month Prior to Move:
1. Review your lease to make sure you understand your obligations for repairs and upkeep. Also check the amount of your security deposit.
2. Confirm your move out date with your landlord or management agent.
3. Do a walk through of your apartment by yourself and make note of any repairs or things that need replacing for which you are responsible. For example, light bulbs, air vent filters, carpet cleaning, etc. Add those items to your moving out check list and the date by which you would like them accomplished.
Two weeks prior to move:
1. Find a new home for or arrange to dispose of hazardous materials such as paint cans, cleaning agents, etc.
2. Donate or sell furniture and other items you do not wish to move.
3. Give away non perishable food items you do not wish to move (everyone loves free food).
4. Review your moving out check list to make sure you are taking care of repairs by your deadlines.
One week prior to move:
1. Clean closet shelves and kitchen and bathroom cabinets as you pack the contents from them.
2. Thoroughly clean the bathroom and kitchen.
3. Dust surfaces, light fixtures and corners for cob webs.
4. Vacuum or sweep under beds and furniture, so you will not have a huge mound of dust bunnies to contend with after you move out.
Two days prior to move:
1. Give away perishable food items.
2. Defrost freezer.
3. Clean refrigerator.
4. Clean other appliances that belong to the apartment.
5. Review moving out check list.
Day of move (once apartment is empty):
1. Vacuum or sweep dirt from moving day.
2. Mop kitchen and bathroom.
3. Wipe surfaces in bathroom and kitchen.
4. Use list of repairs and other notes from moving out check list as a reference when you do the walk through.
5. Happily collect your security deposit and have enough energy to celebrate, since you did all the hard cleaning ahead of time!